An estimated 150 tonnes of plastic pollution are in our oceans.
Plastic pollution in our oceans threatens our environment – hurting our wildlife and coastlines, and impacting everything from fisheries and tourism, to your family’s trip to the beach. That’s why Alistair and the NDP have a plan to:
- Create a permanent, dedicated, and annual funding for community led clean-up projects. (Motion M-151)
- Clean-up derelict fishing gear.
- Address the root problem and redesign the plastic economy.
- Ban single-use plastics by 2022, making necessary exemptions for medical-use and disabled people.
- Provide federal assistance to encourage the development and use of innovative marine pollution control systems.