We need better resources for local food growers.
In a country as wealthy as Canada it is shameful that four million Canadians, including over one million children, are living with food insecurity. That’s why Alistair and the NDP have a plan to:
- Develop a Pan-Canadian Food Strategy to improve access to healthy food.
- Put a freeze on concessions made during international trade negotiations that hurt dairy, poultry and egg farmers and producers and restrict Canadians’ access to locally produced food.
- Introduce tax credits to organic farmers. (Bill C-430)
- Establish a national local food day.
- Support and preserve Canada’s supply-managed farming.
- Reduce food waste.