Truth and Reconciliation is more than mere words.
Canada will never be the country it was meant to be as long as racial discrimination continues against Indigenous communities. We cannot afford to fail another generation of Indigenous children. That’s why Alistair and the NDP have a plan to:
- Make National Aboriginal Day a holiday. (Bill C-361)
- Enshrine into Canadian law the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).
- Protect, maintain, revitalize and strengthen Indigenous languages. (Bill C-443)
- Affirm the rights and jurisdiction of Indigenous peoples in relation to child and family services, such as the best interests of the child, cultural continuity and substantive equality. (Bill C-93)
- Reconcile pre-existing sovereignty and Indigenous peoples’ jurisdictional authority.