Sensitive marine environments need protection.
The Salish Sea is being used as an overflow parking lot for freighters. These anchorages are providing no local benefit but are instead threatening coastal communities and their sensitive marine environments. That’s why Alistair and the NDP have a plan to:
- Expand Canadian trade in an efficient and sustainable way without harming our precious ecosystems or our coastal communities.
- Open meaningful consultations with Indigenous peoples on whose territory the anchorages were established.
- Establish and enforce a comprehensive fee structure to govern the use of anchorage sites.
- Empower and equip oversight bodies within Transport Canada.
Alistair MacGregor is on your side
We cannot afford inaction.
The time to act and declare a Climate Emergency is now. That’s why Alistair and the NDP have a plan to:
- Science-based reduction targets of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Enshrine the right of Canadians to a healthy, ecologically balanced environment. (Bill C-348)
- Make all new buildings in Canada energy efficient by 2030 and retrofit existing buildings by 2050.
- Kickstart clean energy initiatives by stopping fossil fuel subsidies.
- Eliminate single-use plastics.
- Transition all federal government vehicles to electric by 2025.
- Ensure 100% of all new automotive sales are zero-emission vehicles by 2040.
- Stop the Trans Mountainpipeline expansion